A 13-year-old who was hospitalized Thursday following apparent exposure to fentanyl at a Connecticut middle school died Saturday, authorities said.
Police said the teen suffered an overdose at the school and succumbed to his injures Saturday evening around 5:30 p.m.
“Our city grieves for this child lost, for his loved ones, his friends, his teachers, and the entire SMSA family. We still have much to learn about the circumstances of this tragedy, and about how a child had access to such a shocking quantity of such deadly drugs, and our police department will continue their investigation and seek to hold accountable the adults who ultimately are responsible for this child’s death,” Mayor Luke Bronin said in a statement.
Two other students who came in contact with the substance have been released and are at home.
Lt. Boisvert said upon a search of the school, investigators found 40 small bags of what was later determined to be fentanyl in powder form. The bags were found in two classrooms and the gymnasium. “It’s poison,” Boisvert said. He said it’s a very deadly and dangerous substance.
A teacher who suffered a panic attack was also hospitalized, NBC Connecticut reported.
Students were kept in lockdown. As they were dismissed, students had to ensure that their shoes were decontaminated in case they had been exposed.
Torres-Rodriguez said support services, in-person, and virtual, are being offered.
The building is being cleaned, Torres-Rodriguez said. “Dust wipe sampling” is being done and those samples will be going to a lab in New Jersey for testing.
Torres-Rodriguez said the department of public health will be notifying school officials if people can go back into the building. There needs to be no level of contamination to be able to return.
Officials said they are not releasing the teen’s name at this time.
Hartford Police said every division of the department is working to solve what happened on Thursday. They say the investigation remains very active.